Analyst Kevin Closson helps companies to look beyond their business today to see how internal and external forces will shape their futures. He works with clients to identify both new markets for existing products and potential markets for new products. He evaluates the technical features of highly complex components and systems, assesses the intellectual property aspects, and applies his ten years of industry experience in telecommunications, optics and electronics to inform his recommendations.
As a telecom network planner for Verizon before joining Nerac, he was responsible for the planning and engineering of the entire eastern Pennsylvania telecom backbone. In that role, he gained extensive experience with all major telecommunications products and equipment, including FTTx, ROADMs, and IP over SONET. He also worked for fiber optic and electronics manufacturing firms in a variety of roles, including manufacturing and design engineer, product manager, and sales engineer. Mr. Closson has experience in off-shore technology transfer, having planned and executed the off-shoring of an entire manufacturing department. He also has experience in competitive intelligence, product management, and the commercialization of fundamental scientific and engineering research.
Mr. Closson earned both his master's in mechanical engineering from the University of Maryland and his M.B.A. from the University of Baltimore the same year.
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- M.B.A., University of Baltimore
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- Closson, K, “Intellectual Property for Sustainable Energy”, Nerac IP Strategist, January- http://www.nerac.com/img/IP-Newsletter-Jan09-sales.pdf, March 2009
- Closson, K, “How Intellectual Property Policies Can Create Sustainable Energy Infrastructures”, Nerac Marketplace Review, http://www.nerac.com/nerac_insights.php?category=articles&id=152, December 2008
- Closson, K, “Technology Patent Pools: High Tech Titans Are Banding Together to Fight Trolls-Or Are They Just Building Fortresses?”, Nerac Marketplace Review, http://sharepoint2.nerac.com:29287/sites/marketing/MPR/MedDeviceMPR-Sept08.html, September 2008
- Closson, K, “Trends in fiber optic module assembly,” Lightwave, March 2000
- Pearson S and Closson, K, “Emerging Technologies Likely to Impact Commercial Building’s Energy Efficiency”, Clean Technology Conference & Expo, Houston, TX, May 3-7, 2009
- Closson, K, “Printed Electronics: Three Emergent Market Applications,” International Microelectronics and Packaging Society Advanced Technology Workshop on Printed Devices and Applications, Orlando, 2009
- Closson, K, “New and Overlooked Markets for Printed Electronics,” FlexTech 2009, Phoenix, 2009
- Closson, K, “Thermal Management in the Renewable Energy Market,” International Microelectronics and Packaging Society Advanced Technology Workshop on Thermal Management, Palo Alto, 2008
- Closson, K, “Emerging Markets in Thermal Management,” Thermal Management and Technology Symposium, Austin, 2008
- Closson, K, “The Role of Intellectual Property Policy in Creating a Global Sustainable Energy Infrastructure,” IEEE Energy 2030 Conference, Atlanta, 2008